Everything You Need to Know About the K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa
  • Call us: +1 (888) 853-4833
  • inquiry@directusimmigration.com

Immigration success starts with
our expert consulting team

Visa Types We Offer

Areas We Offer Support In

A K-1 fiancé(e) visa allows the foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States with
the intention of marrying their U.S. citizen partner. The K-1 visa is valid for up to 6 months for a
single entry and allows the foreign fiancé(e) to remain in the United States during that time, with
the intent of marrying within 90 days.


The U.S. citizen sponsor must submit Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), in order to begin the process of applying for a K-1 visa. This form must be sent to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

Once Form I-129F is approved, the application will be forwarded to the National Visa Center in the United States, where further processing will take place. After that, the foreign fiancé can then apply for a K-1 visa at their local American embassy or consulate.

The foreign fiancé(e) will need to submit additional required documentation, including a valid
passport and proof of medical examination. During the interview process, they may also be asked
about their relationship with the U.S. citizen sponsor and any other questions related to the K-1
visa application.


In order to qualify for a K-1 visa, both parties must meet certain requirements:

√ The U.S. citizen sponsor and the foreign fiancé(e) must have met in person at least once
within two years prior to filing for the K-1 visa. Exceptions do exist for this requirement.
√  The U.S. citizen sponsor must prove that they are able to support their foreign fiancé(s). This
includes proof of income, assets, or other forms of financial support.
√  Both parties must be legally able to enter into a marriage in the U.S.
√  Both parties must provide proof of their relationship, including evidence of past
communication and any relevant information about shared experiences or trips taken


Once the K-1 visa is approved, the foreign fiancé(e) will be able to enter the United States. After the marriage takes place, they will be able to adjust their status from a K-1 visa holder to a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).


In addition, any children of the foreign fiancé(e) who are under 21 and unmarried can also accompany the visa applicant to the United States. These children will be able to apply for LPR status together with their parents after the marriage has taken place.

The K-1 fiancé(e) visa is a great way for US citizens to bring their foreign fiancé(e)s to the United States. By understanding the requirements, benefits, and application process of the K-1 visa, you can ensure that your loved one’s transition to America is as smooth and successful as possible. With the right preparation and guidance, you can make your dreams of a life together come true. Schedule a consultation to get all the information you need about applying for a K-1 visa, including costs and timelines, filing a petition, and preparing for your interview. Let us help make the process as simple as possible to learn more from Direct U.S. Immigration experts!


Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest news and exclusive offers. Don’t worry, we wont spam you.
Skip to content