Sweden Immigration
  • Call us: +1 (888) 853-4833
  • inquiry@directusimmigration.com

Europe is the second smallest continent and home to the world’s largest church, St. Peter’s Basilica. The Louvre is Europe's most visited tourist attraction.

Sweden is a country located in northern Europe, as Scandinavia’s largest nation. The capital of the Kingdom of Sweden (as the country is officially known) is Stockholm which has been the Swedish capital since 1523 and is spread across 14 islands. It is the country’s largest and most populated municipality.

Sweden has friendly residents, first-rate public services, and a business culture that supports a healthy work-life balance. The nation welcomes people from all different backgrounds and points of view, whether in terms of music, cuisine, fashion, or heritage. Sweden is honored for being the world’s cleanest nation.

In all, Sweden welcomed nearly 91,000 settlers in 2021.


This article will discuss some of the visa types to immigrate to Sweden and the conditions to apply for these visas.

If you want to live in Sweden with a close family member, you need a residency permit. A Swedish citizen spouse, fiancé, common-law partner, or child, for instance, may be seen as a close relative. When applying, there is no timeline for when the dependent may travel to Sweden after having their permit approved. This means that you can still apply together if the family members travel later than the main applicant. Please note that certain rules apply if you or your close relative in Sweden are citizens of another EU/EEA country.


Below are documents required to apply for this visas:


For Married Couples:

For Couples Who Live Together:

For this permit, the following family members are counted as dependents: wife, husband, cohabiting partner, and registered partner.

Some preconditions must be met to apply for this type of visa:

You will also need to submit the following documents:

If you are bringing children who are under 18 years of age:

You may apply for a study visa to enroll in any course at a university or other educational installation for over a three-month period. Language programs are included in this visa category.


Getting an acceptance letter from a Swedish university is the first step in applying for a student visa. Sweden Visa for Study Purpose Requirements include:

You can apply for a residence visa for advanced education if you want to pursue post-secondary education in Sweden at a university, university council, advanced vocational education, or folk high school for a duration longer than three months. Before you depart for Sweden, the permit needs to be issued.


Conditions for residence permits

You are required to apply for a Sweden work permit visa if you want to work in Sweden unless you are an EU citizen, the spouse of an EU citizen, or a long-term EU inhabitant. The preconditions for a Sweden work permit visa include:

Applying for a Sweden work permit is easy as long as you hold a valid job offer from a Swedish employer. The applicant can either submit the operation online or at the consulate. Note that there may be special fees for some occupations, such as, au pairs, athletes, coaches, researchers, trainees, and impositions.


In case a family member is accompanying you, you can apply for their resident permit simultaneously. Your spouse and children are allowed to join you if you are granted a work permit. However, they will need to apply for their separate residence permits which can be done simultaneously or separately.


Work permits are generally valid for 2 years. If you want to continue working and residing in Sweden past the initial validity period, it can be further extended for another 2 years. To extend the work permit visa, an application must be filed at least 30 days before the current permit expires. You will have the right to continue working before the request is approved as long as the application was filed prior to the expiration of your current permit. However, if you leave Sweden, you may not return until the extension is granted.


Once an individual resides in Sweden with a work permit visa for 4 years, they can apply for permanent residency in Sweden.

Depending on your home country and occupation, you may be eligible for an Intra Company Transfer (ICT) Permit or an EU Blue Card.


The ICT Permit can be issued to individuals in managerial or specialist positions who are being transferred within the same company from a branch outside Sweden to one within Sweden. The EU Blue Card is a residence and work permit for individuals with a university degree or 5 years of work experience.


Applying for the EU Blue Card requires documents from both the employee and employer.


The employee is required to have;

Employers are required to give proof that the position was advertised in Sweden.


To be eligible for the ICT Permit you must

Your employer must

Our global mobility department of Direct U.S. Immigration provides immigration support to clients. Whether they wish to move temporarily to permanently to Sweden, we help them shift or incubate their family or business in Sweden with assistance from our expert attorneys


Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest news and exclusive offers. Don’t worry, we wont spam you.
Skip to content